Are you at wits end from wondering where the money will come from to insure your vehicles every month? You are in the same boat as most other vehicle owners in New York.
Shockingly, nearly 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rates from other carriers. American drivers could save almost $850 a year by just comparing quotes, but they don't invest the time required to do a rate comparison. Multiple insurance companies compete for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the definite cheapest price on car insurance.
You need to get comparison quotes as often as possible since prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the best deal on car insurance a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're about to learn the quickest way to buy cheaper car insurance.
If you have coverage now or just want a better rate, take advantage of these tips to reduce the price you pay while maximizing coverage. Locating the best rates in Amsterdam is not that difficult. Smart buyers just have to understand the most effective way to compare rate quotes online.
How to compare auto insurance price quotes in Amsterdam, NY
The companies shown below offer quotes in New York. To locate cheap auto insurance in New York, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$808||$404||$67|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$974||$487||$81|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$996||$498||$83|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$630||$315||$53|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$662||$331||$55|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$774||$387||$65|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$804||$402||$67|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$668||$334||$56|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$794||$397||$66|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$922||$461||$77|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$938||$469||$78|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,076||$538||$90|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$892||$446||$74|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$770||$385||$64|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,012||$506||$84|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$646||$323||$54|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can change auto insurance rates significantly.
Can higher deductibles save money?
The diagram below illustrates how your deductible choice and can affect Nissan Sentra annual premium costs for different age categories. The price estimates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Amsterdam, car insurance is mandatory in New York but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to be legal. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will require you to buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying over $855 a year so compare rate quotes every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Does car insurance advertising bend the truth?
Consumers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings by Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads state the claim that you can save if you move your coverage.
Is it even possible that every company can sell you cheaper insurance coverage? Just pay attention to how they say it.
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the driver that makes them money. For instance, a driver they prefer might be a married male, owns a home, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Someone who matches that profile gets the lowest premium rates and will most likely cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who may not quite match these stringent criteria will be quoted higher premiums which usually ends up with the prospect going elsewhere. The ads state "people who switch" not "all people who quote" will save that much if they switch. That is how insurance companies can make claims that they all have the best auto insurance rates.
Because of the profiling, you absolutely need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It's just not possible to know which insurance companies will have the lowest car insurance in Amsterdam.
Score discounts to get cheaper Amsterdam auto insurance quotes
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there could be available discounts to cut the cost considerably. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Employee of Federal Government - Simply working for the federal government may qualify for a discount when you quote Amsterdam auto insurance with some auto insurance companies.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Amsterdam drivers who stay claim-free get the best auto insurance rates as opposed to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Memberships - Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Buy New and Save - Buying a new car instead of a used car can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than their less cautious counterparts.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as Libery Mutual, GEICO and Allstate will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Select companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current coverage expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts can save a little off the personal injury premium cost.
As is typical with insurance, many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
Insurance companies that possibly offer some of the discounts shown above include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in Amsterdam. For a list of insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Amsterdam, click here to view.
Persistence is the key to cheap rates
As you prepare to switch companies, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone dropped full coverage only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
You just learned some good ideas how to find cheaper coverage online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Amsterdam auto insurance quotes. You may even find the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. Smaller companies often have lower rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Amsterdam can be sourced from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Amsterdam, so get free Amsterdam auto insurance quotes from both of them to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found by following these links:
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Yonkers, New York? (FAQ)
- How Much are New York Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- How Much are New York Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New York Car Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Ram? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Auto Insurance for Retired Military? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New York Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)