Are you burned out from not being able to scrape enough together to pay car insurance each month? You're in the same situation as millions of other vehicle owners.
Sad but true, the vast majority of New York car insurance customers have bought car insurance from the same company for more than four years, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could save an average of roughly 46.5% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most just don't grasp the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies. Vehicle owners have so many insurers to buy insurance from, and although it's a good thing to be able to choose, it can be more challenging to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
It's a great practice to do price comparisons every six months because prices trend upward over time. Just because you had the best rates on car insurance at your last renewal you can probably find a better premium rate now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because it's time to teach you one of the quickest ways to find lower rates on car insurance.
This information will help you learn how to get online quotes and also save some money in the process If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will surely be able to buy cheaper auto insurance using the concepts covered in this article. Smart buyers just need to know the tricks to shop from many different companies.
The following companies have been selected to offer quotes in New York. To buy the best cheap car insurance in New York, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LT||$944||$472||$79|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$754||$377||$63|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$958||$479||$80|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$724||$362||$60|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$906||$453||$76|
|Ford Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$928||$464||$77|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$754||$377||$63|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$724||$362||$60|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$966||$483||$81|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$712||$356||$59|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$902||$451||$75|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4WD 4-Dr||$876||$438||$73|
|Kia Optima SX||$806||$403||$67|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$852||$426||$71|
|Toyota Camry LE||$808||$404||$67|
|Toyota Corolla S||$742||$371||$62|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in specific zip code location which can change premium rates greatly.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Hyundai Sonata insurance prices with full coverage and liability only. The data is based on no claims or violations, $250 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There isn't a written rule to exclude full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's assume your Hyundai Sonata replacement cost is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are currently paying more than $400 annually to have full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should maintain full coverage.
Auto insurance policy discounts
Some insurers don't list all possible discounts in a way that's easy to find, so we took the time to find some of the more common and also the lesser-known credits that may apply to you. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, you're paying more than you need to.
- Own a Home - Owning a home in Harrison can save you money because it is proof of financial responsibility.
- Good Students Pay Less - Excelling in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control are much safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount - Some insurance companies give a lower rate if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Membership in Organizations - Belonging to a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break on your next auto insurance statement.
- Paperwork-free - Many larger companies will give you a small discount for buying your policy online.
- Mature Driver Discount - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can get a small discount on rates.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Government Employee Discount - Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Harrison auto insurance with a few auto insurance companies.
- Responsible Driver Discount - Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to accident prone drivers.
Remember that some credits don't apply to the whole policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
To choose auto insurance companies that offer discounts in Harrison, click this link.
How to lower your auto insurance costs
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the different types of things that help determine your policy premiums. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents systems cut prices - Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help prevent vehicle theft.
- Youthful drivers pay higher costs - Inexperience drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted when driving with friends so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
- Having a spouse can lower prices - Your spouse helps lower the price when buying auto insurance. Marriage translates into being more financially stable and it's proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Multiple policies with one company - Most major insurers will give discounts to policyholders that purchase more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to 10 percent or more. Even if you're getting this discount consumers should still comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most.
Insurance is available from your local insurance agencies
Many people just prefer to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. And buying from local insurance agents is still important in Harrison.
Upon completion of this quick form, your information gets sent to local insurance agents in Harrison that can provide free Harrison auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific company, just find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
How to choose the best auto insurance agent in Harrison
When researching an insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures that you can select. Insurance agents in Harrison are classified as either independent or exclusive. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage through many companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply switch companies in-house and you won't have to switch agencies. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you will want to include price quotes from a few independent agents to maximize your price options.
Exclusive agents write business for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Picking the best car insurance agent shouldn't rely on just the quoted price. These questions are important to ask:
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
Car insurance can be complex
When quoting and choosing coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation could use an agent's help.
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- What policy terms are available?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
People change insurance companies for any number of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent, extreme rates for teen drivers or questionable increases in premium. It doesn't matter why you want to switch switching companies is less work than it seems.
Throughout this article, we presented many ideas to shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the best price on auto insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.
While you're price shopping online, make sure you don't reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut collision coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Much more information about auto insurance in New York can be found at these links:
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford F-150 in New York? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in New York? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Hybrid Vehicles in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest New York Auto Insurance for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- How Much are New York Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes with Multiple Speeding Tickets in New York? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)