Are you looking for more competitive insurance rates in Somers, NY? Somers consumers have many options when looking for the best price on car insurance. You can either waste hours struggling with agents getting price quotes or utilize the internet to make rate comparisons.
There is a better way to buy insurance so you're going to learn the best way to quote coverages for a new or used and obtain the cheapest rates from Somers insurance agents and online providers.
It's a good habit to price shop coverage before your policy renews because insurance prices change regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best rates on insurance at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because you're about to find out the fastest and easiest way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
The goal of this article is to instruct you on how car insurance works and some money-saving tips. If you are insured now, you will definitely be able to reduce the price you pay using the concepts you're about to learn. Shoppers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to compare different rates using one simple form.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance isn't really that difficult. You just need to take the time to compare rates from different insurance companies.
The companies shown below offer free quotes in Somers, NY. To get the best car insurance in New York, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$910||$455||$76|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$852||$426||$71|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$648||$324||$54|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,010||$505||$84|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$650||$325||$54|
|GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,182||$591||$99|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,160||$580||$97|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$788||$394||$66|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$978||$489||$82|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2WD 4-Dr||$850||$425||$71|
|Kia Optima LX||$956||$478||$80|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$698||$349||$58|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$800||$400||$67|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in specific zip code location which can modify premium rates noticeably.
Higher deductibles lower rates
One frequently asked question is how high should the deductibles for physical damage be. The rates shown below determine the differences in price when you select higher and lower comp and collision deductibles. The first table uses a $100 physical damage deductible and the second set of rates uses a $500 deductible.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Acadia SL 2WD||$198||$338||$264||$16||$80||$921||$77|
|Acadia SL AWD||$228||$338||$264||$16||$80||$951||$79|
|Acadia SLE 2WD||$228||$338||$264||$16||$80||$951||$79|
|Acadia SLE AWD||$228||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,025||$85|
|Acadia SLT 2WD||$228||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,025||$85|
|Acadia SLT AWD||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Acadia SL 2WD||$144||$228||$264||$16||$80||$732||$61|
|Acadia SL AWD||$166||$228||$264||$16||$80||$754||$63|
|Acadia SLE 2WD||$166||$228||$264||$16||$80||$754||$63|
|Acadia SLE AWD||$166||$278||$264||$16||$80||$804||$67|
|Acadia SLT 2WD||$166||$278||$264||$16||$80||$804||$67|
|Acadia SLT AWD||$188||$278||$264||$16||$80||$826||$69|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Information does not factor in vehicle location which can alter premium rates greatly.
Based on the above data, using a $100 deductible will cost you approximately $17 more each month or $204 each year than quoting the higher $500 deductible. Since you would have to pay $400 more if you turn in a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to average more than 24 months between claims, you would probably save some money if you opt for a higher deductible.
Calculate deductible break even point
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$82|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $65|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$17|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $17|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||24 months|
An important sidenote is that a higher deductible level results in more money out-of-pocket when you have a claim. That will require some savings in order to pay the deductible to have repairs made.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The chart below demonstrates how citations and at-fault accidents influence Kia Optima annual premium costs for each age group. Data assumes a single male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Policy deductible comparison
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Hyundai Elantra insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The prices are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, it's guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average driver in New York is overpaying more than $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Do you qualify for discounts on car insurance?
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Anti-theft System - Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Somers Homeowners Pay Less - Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Mature Driver Discount - Older drivers are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Smart Student Discounts - Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Payment Method - By making one initial payment as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Student Driver Training - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them participate in a local driver's education class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
You should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like it's possible to get free car insurance, you're out of luck. Any amount of discount will help lower your premiums.
Insurance companies that possibly offer most of these discounts are:
Before you buy a policy, ask all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Discounts might not be offered everywhere. To view insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in New York, follow this link.
Exclusive versus independent insurance agents
A small number of people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get better rates and still choose a local agent. Buying insurance from neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Somers.
After completing this simple form, the coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Somers who will give competitive quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won't even need to find an agent on your own because prices are sent to you directly. If you have a need to compare prices for a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
When narrowing the list to find an insurance agent, it's helpful to know the types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Car insurance agents in Somers can be described as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both insure your vehicles properly, but it's good to learn the subtle differences because it can factor into which agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with an assortment of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you stay with the same agent. When comparing rates, it's a good idea to compare prices from multiple independent agents for the best price selection. Many independent agencies also insure through mutual insurance companies which could offer lower prices.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents normally can only provide a single company's rates and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Drivers often buy from the same agent for years mostly because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Deciding on an insurance agency requires more thought than just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in New York?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
Don't give up on cheap premiums
While you're price shopping online, don't be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where someone dropped collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheaper auto insurance in Somers can be purchased from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who don't offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
We just covered a lot of ways to compare auto insurance car insurance rates in Somers. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Somers auto insurance, the better chance you'll have of finding inexpensive Somers auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the most savings is with a small mutual company.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Veterans in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Teenage Males in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes with Multiple Speeding Tickets in New York? (FAQ)
- How Much are New York Car Insurance Rates for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Accord in New York? (FAQ)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)