Price shopping your car insurance is always difficult for drivers who are new to online price comparisons. There are so many companies to choose from that it can be a ton of work to compare prices in New York on car insurance.
Regrettably, the majority of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. Consumers in the U.S. can cut their rates by as much as $859 a year by just comparing quotes, but they feel it's too difficult to compare rate quotes.
When quoting car insurance, remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes gives you a better chance of getting better pricing. Not every company provides price estimates online, so you also need to get prices from the smaller companies as well.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide quotes in New York. If you want to find cheaper auto insurance in New York, it's highly recommended you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$888||$444||$74|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$780||$390||$65|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$812||$406||$68|
|Ford Edge Sport 2WD||$736||$368||$61|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$706||$353||$59|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$848||$424||$71|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$874||$437||$73|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$750||$375||$63|
|GMC Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$908||$454||$76|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$888||$444||$74|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$722||$361||$60|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$1,012||$506||$84|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,184||$592||$99|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$924||$462||$77|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$720||$360||$60|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Package 4WD||$938||$469||$78|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,024||$512||$85|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle location which can alter coverage rates greatly.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The information below illustrates the comparison of Nissan Sentra auto insurance rates with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The price estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, single male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no specific rule that is best for determining when to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Nissan Sentra replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premiums are more than $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some circumstances where buying only liability insurance is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Driving violations and accidents
The chart below illustrates how violations and at-fault accidents can affect Dodge Ram insurance prices for each different age group. The rates are based on a married female driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you may find discounts that many people don't even know exist. Some discounts will apply when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Driver Training Discounts - Completing a safe driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Telematics Data Discounts - People who choose to allow companies to spy on driving habits through the use of a telematics system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may see discounts if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Good Student Discount - This discount may save as much as 25% on a Blooming Grove car insurance quote. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you combine your auto and home policies with the same company you could save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Lower Rates for Military - Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it doesn't quite work that way.
To see a list of providers with the best discounts in Blooming Grove, click here to view.
Three good reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the potentially high cost of auto insurance, maintaining insurance is required in New York but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability if you drive a vehicle. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $825 a year so it's recommended you shop around each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Auto insurance is unique, just like you
When choosing coverage online or from an agent, there really isn't a cookie cutter policy. Every insured's situation is different.
These are some specific questions can help discover if you could use an agent's help.
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer's policy when using it for work?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.