Want to learn the secrets to finding cheaper auto insurance rates in Plattsburgh, NY? Nobody I know likes paying for auto insurance, especially knowing they could find lower prices if they just compared rates.
Unimaginable but true, a large majority of drivers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly the majority have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers can save 47% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't believe the large savings they would see if they replace their high priced policy.
Due to the increasing number of choices of insurance companies, it can be challenging to pick a more affordable auto insurance provider.
Quoting and comparing rates for the lowest cost coverage in Plattsburgh is not as difficult as people think. Practically each driver who compares rates for insurance will probably be able to find better rates. Although New York car owners need to learn how the larger insurance companies determine how much to charge and use this information to your advantage.
Insurance policy discounts
Car insurance companies don't necessarily list all possible discounts very well, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Plattsburgh auto insurance online.
- No Accidents - Insureds with no claims or accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Plattsburgh auto insurance quote compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving fewer miles may allow you to get lower insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Seniors may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having an actively deployed family member may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Own a Home and Save - Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on insurance since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Seat Belts Save - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Payment Discounts - By paying your entire bill at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Professional Organizations - Being in certain professional organizations may earn a discount on your bill.
We need to note that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
Larger insurance companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-policy, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, federal employee, good student, and air bags.
- SAFECO may include discounts for drive less, bundle discounts, safe driver, multi-car, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, and driver's education.
- MetLife offers discounts for defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, accident-free, good driver, and claim-free.
- 21st Century discounts include homeowners, teen driver, defensive driver, automatic seat belts, theft prevention, driver training, and early bird.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and online signing.
Check with every insurance company the best way to save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in every state. To view providers who offer free insurance quotes in New York, click this link.
How much is insurance in Plattsburgh, New York?
When looking for cheaper Plattsburgh auto insurance quotes, there are a couple ways to compare rate quotes from many different New York insurance companies. The best way to compare insurance prices consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
It's so easy to compare quotes online that it makes it obsolete to waste gas driving to insurance agents' offices. Comparing insurance rate quotes online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless your situation requires the peace of mind only provided by licensed Plattsburgh agents. It is possible to compare online quotes but have your policy serviced through an agent. Keep in mind that getting more free quotes will enable you to find a lower rate. Not every company allows you to get rate quotes online, so it's important to compare price estimates from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below can provide price comparisons in New York. To find cheap car insurance in New York, we suggest you click on several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$892||$446||$74|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$836||$418||$70|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$804||$402||$67|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$962||$481||$80|
|Ford Edge Limited 2WD||$684||$342||$57|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$738||$369||$62|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$958||$479||$80|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$720||$360||$60|
|GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,086||$543||$91|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$580||$290||$48|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$754||$377||$63|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$830||$415||$69|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$952||$476||$79|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD 4-Dr||$818||$409||$68|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$958||$479||$80|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$806||$403||$67|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$910||$455||$76|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in specific zip code location which can modify price quotes considerably.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Honda Accord insurance costs with and without full coverage. The information is based on no claims or violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no definitive formula of when to exclude comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Honda Accord settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $5,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it's costing you more than $500 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some situations where removing full coverage is not in your best interest. If you haven't paid off your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage.
Analysis of deductible levels
The information below demonstrates how deductible levels and can increase or decrease Nissan Sentra insurance premiums for each age group. The rates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Do the work, save more money
Cheaper car insurance in Plattsburgh can be purchased both online and with local Plattsburgh insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
In this article, we presented many ideas to lower your car insurance rates in Plattsburgh. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Plattsburgh auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest rates come from the least-expected company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower auto insurance rates compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When buying insurance coverage, it's not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret they didn't purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Much more information about car insurance in New York is available on the following sites:
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Freeport, New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Veterans in New York? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Good Students in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New York Auto Insurance for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in New York? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for State Employees in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New York Car Insurance for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Auto Insurance Rates for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)