Has it been a year or more since you last compared quotes for low-cost car insurance rates in New Rochelle, NY? Are you at wits end from trying to scrape together enough money each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than most other drivers in New York.
Unbelievable but true according to a study a large majority of drivers in New York renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never shopped around. American drivers could save as much as $860 every year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't understand how simple it is to go online and compare rates.
Online insurance companies like Allstate, Progressive and GEICO continually hit you with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to see through the deception and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It's a great practice to shop coverage around quite often because prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the best price on car insurance a couple years back a different company probably has better rate quotes today. You can find a lot of wrong information about car insurance out there, but in just a couple of minutes you can learn a lot of great tips on how to find affordable car insurance in New Rochelle.
Most larger insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm allow consumers to get price estimates directly from their websites. This process doesn't take much effort because it's just a matter of typing in your coverage information as requested by the quote form. When complete, their quoting system will order your driving record and credit report and returns a price based on these and other factors. This simplifies rate comparisons, and it is important to compare as many rates as possible if you want to get the best insurance rates.
To find out if lower rates are available, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter the insurance coverages identical to your current policy. Doing this assures you will receive a fair comparison using the same coverage and limits.
The companies shown below provide comparison quotes in New York. If you wish to find the best cheap car insurance in New York, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 4WD||$590||$295||$49|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$776||$388||$65|
|Chevrolet Malibu LT||$962||$481||$80|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,204||$602||$100|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,212||$606||$101|
|Ford Edge SE 2WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$762||$381||$64|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$848||$424||$71|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$902||$451||$75|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$842||$421||$70|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$590||$295||$49|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$752||$376||$63|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,010||$505||$84|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$860||$430||$72|
|Kia Optima EX||$1,022||$511||$85|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$872||$436||$73|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$970||$485||$81|
|Toyota Corolla S||$780||$390||$65|
|Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$770||$385||$64|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Premium costs do not factor in specific location which can impact coverage rates significantly.
Premiums by gender and age
The information below illustrates the difference between car insurance rates for male and female drivers in New Castle. Data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Honda Pilot LX.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Save money with these discounts
Some insurers do not advertise their entire list of discounts very clearly, so we researched both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you.
- Student Driver Training - Teen drivers should enroll in driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Telematics Devices - Policyholders that allow their insurance company to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device such as Progressive's Snapshot may get a rate reduction if they have good driving habits.
- Good Grades Discount - This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Distant Student - Kids living away from New Rochelle attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Full Payment Discount - By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Low Miles Discount - Low annual miles can qualify you for cheaper rates.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Early Signing - A few insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Federal Government Employee - Having worked for a branch of the government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
Discounts lower rates, but some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies don't profit that way.
Popular insurance companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- American Family offers discounts for accident-free, good student, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, and early bird.
- State Farm may offer discounts for good driver, defensive driving training, passive restraint, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, and Drive Safe & Save.
- 21st Century has discounts for 55 and older, automatic seat belts, driver training, homeowners, and good student.
- Travelers may have discounts that include multi-car, driver training, good student, payment discounts, and IntelliDrive.
- GEICO has savings for emergency military deployment, air bags, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, military active duty, and membership and employees.
It's a good idea to ask every insurance company the best way to save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered everywhere.
Why your premium might be higher
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you big savings.
Listed below are some of the major factors used by insurance companies to determine prices.
Prevent your car from being stolen - Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention devices such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems help track and prevent auto theft.
Do you really need the extra coverages? - There are a lot of additional coverages that can add up if you aren't diligent. Things like rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and extra equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good initially, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so consider taking them off your policy.
Reserve insurance claims for larger damages - Car insurance companies in New York generally give the best rates to insureds that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your car insurance is designed for more catestrophic claims.
Gaps in coverage mean higher rates - Driving with no insurance is illegal and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage lapse. In addition to paying higher premiums, not being able to provide proof of insurance may result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums.
Annual miles is a factor - Driving more miles each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Many insurance companies calculate rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. It's a good idea to make sure your declarations sheet reflects the right rating data, because it can save money.
Don't believe everything you hear
Respected companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm consistently run television, radio, and online ads. They all make the point that you'll save big after switching your coverage. How does every company save you money on car insurance? Just pay attention to how they say it.
All companies offer their best rates for the type of insured they prefer to insure. A good example of this type of driver might have to be a married female, has no driving citations, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer who fits those characteristics will get a cheap rate quote in New Rochelle and will probably save money with a new company.
Drivers who do not match these standards must pay higher premiums which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The trick companies use is to say "customers who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save money. This is how insurance companies can lure you into getting a quote. Because of these techniques, drivers must compare price quotes frequently. It's not possible to predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
More effort can pay off
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don't be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
We just covered many ideas to save on insurance in New Rochelle. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you'll have of finding inexpensive New Rochelle auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest prices are with a small local company. These smaller insurers can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable New York Car Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Camry in New York? (FAQ)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)