How many times have you said it's time to compare lower-priced auto insurance rates in Cohoes, NY? Cohoes drivers have many options when trying to find the best price on car insurance. You can either waste hours driving around getting price quotes or utilize the internet to compare rates.
There are both good and bad ways to find auto insurance online and you need to know the absolute fastest way to get price quotes on a and obtain the cheapest rates either online or from Cohoes insurance agents.
Finding cheap insurance quotes is not rocket science. You just need to take a couple of minutes getting comparison quotes to see which company has affordable Cohoes auto insurance quotes.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price comparisons in Cohoes, NY. If you want to find the cheapest car insurance in New York, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,128||$564||$94|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$890||$445||$74|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,028||$514||$86|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$774||$387||$65|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$648||$324||$54|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$770||$385||$64|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$616||$308||$51|
|GMC Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$860||$430||$72|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$768||$384||$64|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$628||$314||$52|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$752||$376||$63|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD||$892||$446||$74|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2WD 4-Dr||$874||$437||$73|
|Kia Optima SX||$918||$459||$77|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$996||$498||$83|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,068||$534||$89|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$746||$373||$62|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$960||$480||$80|
|Toyota Corolla S||$662||$331||$55|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$736||$368||$61|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can revise premiums noticeably.
Raise deductibles and save
A question often asked by Cohoes drivers is how high should the deductibles for physical damage be. The figures shown below may aid in understanding the cost difference between low and high physical damage deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $250 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second price grid uses a $500 deductible.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sentra 2.0 S||$178||$406||$264||$16||$80||$969||$81|
|Sentra 2.0 SR||$178||$406||$264||$16||$80||$969||$81|
|Sentra 2.0 SL||$204||$406||$264||$16||$80||$995||$83|
|Sentra SE-R SPEC V||$204||$468||$264||$16||$80||$1,057||$88|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sentra 2.0 S||$144||$328||$264||$16||$80||$832||$69|
|Sentra 2.0 SR||$144||$328||$264||$16||$80||$832||$69|
|Sentra 2.0 SL||$166||$328||$264||$16||$80||$854||$71|
|Sentra SE-R SPEC V||$166||$378||$264||$16||$80||$904||$75|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in your specific Cohoes location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates greatly.
Based on this data, we can arrive at the conclusion that using a $250 deductible costs an average of $12 more each month or $144 each year than buying the higher $500 deductible. Because you would pay $250 more if you turn in a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you normally go at a minimum 21 months between claims, you would save more money going with the higher deductible.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The illustration below shows the difference between Honda Accord insurance rates with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The data is based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no clear-cut formula of when to exclude physical damage insurance, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Accord claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it's costing in excess of $700 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are a few situations where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Higher deductibles lower rates
The example below demonstrates how deductibles and can change Toyota Corolla insurance costs for each different age category. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Buying the right vehicle insurance in New York is an important decision
Despite the high cost, paying for auto insurance is mandatory in New York but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability if you want to drive legally. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, most lenders will require that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so it's recommended you shop around each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Auto insurance ads are enticing
Consumers in New York can't get away from ads for cheaper auto insurance from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the companies state the claim that drivers can save some big amount if you just switch your policy.
That's great but how can every company lower your rates? It's all in the wording.
Insurance providers can use profiling for the type of driver they prefer to insure. One example of a preferred risk may be between 30 and 50, owns a home, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Anyone who fits that profile will get low car insurance rates and as a result will probably save a lot of money.
Drivers who are not a match for these criteria will be quoted a more expensive rate and this results in the customer buying from someone else. The ads say "people who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" will save that much if they switch. That is how companies can truthfully claim big savings.
This illustrates why you absolutely need to compare many company's car insurance rates. Because you cannot predict which auto insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Car insurance companies don't necessarily list every disount available in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates. If they aren't giving you every credit available, you could be getting lower rates.
- Auto/Home Discount - When you combine your auto and home insurance with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Multi-line Discount - Some insurance companies give lower premium rates if you buy some life insurance too.
- ABS Braking Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Early Switch Discount - A few insurance companies offer discounts for buying a policy before your current policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Multiple Cars - Buying a policy with more than one vehicle with the same insurance company could earn a price break for each car.
- Save over 55 - If you're over the age of 55, you can get reduced rates.
- Government Employee Discount - Simply working for the federal government could provide a small rate reduction with some insurance companies.
- Claim-Free Discount - Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Cohoes auto insurance quote compared to accident-prone drivers.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works.
Popular insurance companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- GEICO has discounts for membership and employees, anti-theft, seat belt use, driver training, air bags, and emergency military deployment.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for accident-free, claim-free, defensive driver, good driver, multi-policy, good student
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers includes discounts for IntelliDrive, multi-car, continuous insurance, payment discounts, student away at school, early quote, and good student.
- SAFECO offers discounts for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, homeowner, drive less, and accident prevention training.
- AAA may offer discounts for good driver, multi-policy, pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, anti-theft, and good student.
When quoting, ask all the companies to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in Cohoes. If you would like to see a list of companies that offer many of these discounts in Cohoes, click here to view.
Local Cohoes insurance agencies
Many drivers just want to buy from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Professional agents are trained risk managers and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the best rates and also buy local. Supporting local agencies is important especially in Cohoes.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact an agency because prices are sent instantly to you. If you wish to get a comparison quote for a specific company, don't hesitate to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
When researching a reliable agent, it's important to understand the types of agencies that you can select. Insurance policy providers are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it's important to point out the differences since it can impact buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If they quote lower rates, your agent can just switch to a different company and you won't have to switch agencies. If you are comparing rate quotes, it's recommended you contact at least one independent agent to get the best comparison. Most also write with companies you've never heard of who may have lower rates.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. They are well schooled in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to use the same exclusive agent partially due to high brand loyalty instead of buying on price only.
Choosing an insurance agency requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
More comparisons equals cheap rates
While you're price shopping online, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like policy cancellation, being labeled a high risk driver, poor customer service and even unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
You just learned a lot of tips how to find cheaper coverage online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting cheap Cohoes auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best premium rates are with a small mutual company.
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Who Has Affordable New York Auto Insurance for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New York Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a Chevrolet Equinox in New York? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)