Are you regretting the purchase of overpriced car insurance? Don't feel bad because there are a lot of people in Sullivan just like you who feel imprisoned by their car insurance policy.
Unbelievably, the vast majority of car insurance customers kept buying from the same company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Consumers in Sullivan could save 45% every year just by shopping around, but they just don't understand the amount of money they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Having so many insurance providers from which to choose, it can be diffult for drivers to pick the lowest cost insurance company.
Locating the best rates in Sullivan is actually quite easy if you know where to start. If you are insured now, you will be able to save money using this strategy. But New York car owners must know how companies market insurance on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Best companies for low-cost rates in New York
The companies in the list below offer price quotes in New York. In order to find the best cheap car insurance in New York, we suggest you visit several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$1,004||$502||$84|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$676||$338||$56|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$534||$267||$45|
|Ford Explorer XLT 2WD||$654||$327||$55|
|Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$978||$489||$82|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$852||$426||$71|
|GMC Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$994||$497||$83|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$590||$295||$49|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$598||$299||$50|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$922||$461||$77|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$824||$412||$69|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$908||$454||$76|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$988||$494||$82|
|Toyota Corolla S||$940||$470||$78|
|Toyota RAV4 2WD||$942||$471||$79|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$658||$329||$55|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in specific Sullivan garaging location which can change premiums substantially.
Sullivan insurance premiums by gender and age
The information below compares car insurance rates for male and female drivers in Sullivan. The prices are based on no accidents, no driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied on a Toyota Camry Hybrid.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
How high should deductibles be?
The illustration below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can change Chevrolet Silverado yearly insurance costs for each different age group. The rates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you raise deductibles?
One of the most common car insurance questions is where to set your physical damage deductibles. The tables below may help to illustrate the rate differences between high and low comp and collision deductibles. The first data table uses a $250 deductible for physical damage and the second price table uses a $500 deductible.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$204||$284||$264||$16||$80||$873||$73|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$230||$284||$264||$16||$80||$899||$75|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$230||$284||$264||$16||$80||$899||$75|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$230||$344||$264||$16||$80||$959||$80|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$230||$344||$264||$16||$80||$959||$80|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$230||$344||$264||$16||$80||$959||$80|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$230||$344||$264||$16||$80||$959||$80|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$166||$228||$264||$16||$80||$754||$63|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$188||$228||$264||$16||$80||$776||$65|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$188||$228||$264||$16||$80||$776||$65|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$188||$278||$264||$16||$80||$826||$69|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$188||$278||$264||$16||$80||$826||$69|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$188||$278||$264||$16||$80||$826||$69|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$188||$278||$264||$16||$80||$826||$69|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can increase or decrease rates substantially.
Based on this data, we can arrive at the conclusion that using a $250 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $11 more each month or $132 each year than buying the higher $500 deductible. Due to the fact that you would have to pay $250 more out-of-pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you tend to average at a minimum 23 months between claims, you would probably be better off if you opt for a higher deductible. The table below illustrates a better example of how this determination is made.
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$78|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $67|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$11|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $250):||$250|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$250 / $11|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||23 months|
One important issue to know is that raising deductibles to save money means you will have to cover more of the damage yourself when you have a claim. It will be required that you have some available funds in the event you have to pay the deductible to have repairs made.
Premium influencing factors
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. If you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with lower premium levels.
The itemized list below are some of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your premiums.
- Discounts for auto and home policies - Most insurance companies allow lower prices to policyholders that buy multiple policies such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Adjust deductibles and save - Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims could be a dented fender, damage from fire, and burglary. Your deductibles define how much you are willing to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more expense you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the lower your rates will be.
- Small claims can cost you - If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Car insurance companies in New York award the lowest premiums to drivers who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Discounts for alarm systems - Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention devices such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can help prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
- Protect yourself with liability insurance - Liability insurance kicks in in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. It is affordable coverage when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Premiums are affected by your credit history - A driver's credit history will be a significant factor in calculating your premium rate. Insureds with very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with worse credit. If your credit is not that good, you may save money insuring your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- City traffic equals higher premiums - Having an address in a small town can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims. Drivers in populated New York areas regularly have much more traffic and much longer commute distances. The longer drive time means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Infrequent drivers can save - The higher the mileage driven in a year's time the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of companies calculate rates based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates than those that get driven frequently. Verify your declarations sheet shows the correct usage, because it can save money.
Take advantage of these price cutting discounts
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you complete an application, but occasionally some discounts must be asked for before they will apply.
- Military Deployment Discount - Being deployed in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - It's a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Payment Discounts - If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Organization Discounts - Having an affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Sullivan can get you a small discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Sign Early and Save - A few insurance companies allow discounts for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Life Insurance Discount - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn lower premium rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Telematics Data - Drivers that enable companies to monitor driving manner by using a telematics device such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive might see lower rates as long as they are good drivers.
It's important to understand that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer multiple discounts in New York, click this link.
Comparing quotes from local Sullivan insurance agencies
Some people would prefer to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Sullivan that provide free Sullivan auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to you instantly. It's the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to quote rates for a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right company should include more criteria than just the price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
Sullivan auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
If you are wanting to find a reliable insurance agent, it's important to understand the different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies may be either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents do not sell for just one brand and that allows them to write policies with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a cheaper price, the business is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing rate quotes, you will want to check rates from independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
We just covered many tips how you can shop for insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting cheap Sullivan auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best premium rates are with a small local company. These companies often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
When buying insurance coverage, it's very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
More learning opportunities
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Camry in New York? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Cheektowaga, New York? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)