Would you like to stop wasting money and find the cheapest auto insurance rates in Freeport, NY? If you're new to shopping for Freeport car insurance quotes online, you can be bewildered thanks to the incredible selection of online auto insurance companies and websites all offering big savings in Freeport.
Amazingly, about 70% of customers have been with the same company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Many consumers in Freeport could save 45% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they think it's difficult to compare rates.
If you currently have insurance, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using the tips covered below. This article's goal is to let you in on the best way to quote coverages and how to save the most money. Although New York vehicle owners must learn the methods companies use to sell online because rates fluctuate considerably.
Cheapest auto insurance companies in Freeport
The auto insurance companies shown below offer free rate quotes in New York. To locate cheap car insurance in New York, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$728||$364||$61|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$864||$432||$72|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$1,142||$571||$95|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$870||$435||$73|
|Ford F-150 STX Regular Cab 2WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$852||$426||$71|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$958||$479||$80|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$628||$314||$52|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$774||$387||$65|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,072||$536||$89|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$826||$413||$69|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$780||$390||$65|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$988||$494||$82|
|Toyota Camry SE||$870||$435||$73|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$754||$377||$63|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can raise or lower rates substantially.
One of the most common car insurance questions is how high should the physical damage coverage deductibles be. The figures shown below may help to illustrate the rate fluctuation of buying low and high coverage deductibles. The first data table uses a $100 physical damage deductible and the second set of prices uses a $500 deductible.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$198||$338||$226||$14||$68||$869||$72|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$198||$338||$226||$14||$68||$869||$72|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$198||$338||$226||$14||$68||$869||$72|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$228||$338||$226||$14||$68||$899||$75|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$228||$338||$226||$14||$68||$899||$75|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$228||$412||$226||$14||$68||$973||$81|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$144||$228||$226||$14||$68||$680||$57|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$144||$228||$226||$14||$68||$680||$57|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$144||$228||$226||$14||$68||$680||$57|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$166||$228||$226||$14||$68||$702||$59|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$166||$228||$226||$14||$68||$702||$59|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$166||$278||$226||$14||$68||$752||$63|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in garaging location in Freeport which can alter premiums considerably.
Using the premium rates above, we can conclude that using a $100 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $16 more each month or $192 every year than requesting the higher $500 deductible. Because you would be required to pay $400 more if you turn in a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to average at a minimum 25 months between claims, you would probably come out ahead if you decide on a higher deductible.
The chart below shows how different deductible levels and can influence Toyota Corolla insurance prices for different categories of driver ages. Data assumes a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are factored in.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Earn discounts on Freeport auto insurance
Some insurance providers do not list the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the more common as well as the least known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Freeport car insurance online. If you do not double check each discount possible, you're paying more than you need to.
- Professional Organizations - Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations can get you a small discount when getting a Freeport car insurance quote.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Libery Mutual, GEICO and Allstate will forgive one accident without the usual rate increase as long as you don't have any claims for a set time period.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- College Student Discount - Youth drivers living away from Freeport attending college without a vehicle on campus may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Factory air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of 20% or more.
- Theft Deterrent System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to monitor driving habits through the use of a telematics system like Allstate's Drivewise might get better premium rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Senior Citizens - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for lower premium rates.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren't that lucky. But any discount should help lower the amount you have to pay.
Some companies that may have some of the discounts shown above include:
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies how you can save money. Savings might not be offered in your area. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers with significant discounts in Freeport, follow this link.
Freeport auto insurance rates are influenced by these factors
Many things are considered when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are more transparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven. It's important that you understand some of the factors that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you know what impacts premium levels, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in lower premium levels.
- Your address can modify premiums - Having an address in small towns and rural areas can save you money when buying auto insurance. Urban drivers have more traffic problems and more time behind the wheel. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident in addition to fewer liability claims.
- Rates may be lower depending on your employer - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers such as lawyers, executives and financial analysts generally pay higher premium rates attributed to job stress and incredibly demanding work hours. On the other hand, careers like scientists, engineers and homemakers have lower than average premiums.
- Little extras can really add up - Insurance companies have many extra coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren't diligent. Things like coverage for rental cars, high-cost glass coverage, and extra equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem good at first, but if they're wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Never let your auto insurance policy expire - Driving any period of time without insurance is illegal and companies may charge more for letting your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage may earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the New York DMV.
- Compare rates if you bundle your policies - The majority of insurance companies allow a discount to customers who carry more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, it's in your best interest to check prices from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money. Drivers may still find lower rates by insuring with multiple companies.
- File auto insurance claims and pay more - Auto insurance companies in New York give discounts to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is designed for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- How credit score affects auto insurance premiums - A driver's credit rating is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have lower ratings. Therefore, if your credit leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your vehicle by improving your rating.
- Car insurance liability coverage limits - The liability coverage on your policy is the protection in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide for a legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
Insurance agents are trained to help
Some people would rather go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Freeport.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to agents in your area that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don't have to do any legwork because prices are sent immediately to your email address. You can find the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote for a specific company, just visit that company's website and complete a quote there.
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
When looking for a local insurance agency, you should know the different types of agents from which to choose. Insurance agents are categorized either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type often have affiliation with several companies so they can quote policies amongst many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, they simply switch companies in-house and you won't have to switch agencies.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you should always contact a few independent agents in order to have the best price comparison. Many independent agencies also insure through less well-known companies which can be an advantage.
These type of agents can only quote rates from one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. They receive a lot of sales training on their company's products and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Choosing a auto insurance agent shouldn't rely on just a cheap quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- How experiences are they in personal risk management?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Freeport?
If you receive positive responses to any questions you may have and an acceptable price quote, you may have found a car insurance agent that meets the criteria to adequately provide insurance.
Is there truth in advertising?
Companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive regularly use ads on television and other media. They all seem to say the same thing that people will save if you get a free Freeport car insurance quote and switch your policy. How do they all offer drivers better rates? Just pay attention to how they say it.
All companies have specific criteria for the type of customer that earns them the most money. An example of this type of risk profile might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has never had a policy lapse, and drives a safe vehicle. Any new insured that meets those criteria will probably get the lowest prices and have a good chance to save when they switch companies.
Potential insureds who don't measure up to the requirements must pay a higher rate which usually ends up with business not being written. The ads state "people that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" can save as much as they claim. That is how companies can advertise the savings.
Each company has different criteria, so you absolutely need to compare rate quotes every year. It is impossible to predict the company that will have the lowest insurance in Freeport.
Affordable insurance premiums are possible
Cost effective insurance can be sourced from both online companies and with local Freeport insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
People switch companies for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, denial of a claim and unfair underwriting practices. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching insurance companies is less work than it seems.
When searching for cheaper Freeport car insurance quotes, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
Additional detailed information is available by following these links:
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for 19 Year Olds in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New York Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)