Are you doing reasearch to find lower-priced insurance rates in Lockport, NY? Finding better insurance prices for a new or used car in New York can normally be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips to make it easier.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for insurance and we'll show you the proper way to get price quotes for a and locate the cheapest rates either online or from Lockport insurance agents.
A recent study showed that almost 70% of drivers in New York have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Many drivers in America can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they don't invest the time required to find lower-cost insurance by shopping around.
Getting a cheap price on insurance is not rocket science. Consumers just need to take the time comparing price quotes online from several insurance companies.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in New York. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$736||$368||$61|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$870||$435||$73|
|Ford Edge Sport AWD||$888||$444||$74|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$984||$492||$82|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$898||$449||$75|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$760||$380||$63|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$910||$455||$76|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Honda Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$632||$316||$53|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$878||$439||$73|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$940||$470||$78|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$868||$434||$72|
|Toyota Camry LE||$902||$451||$75|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$692||$346||$58|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in zip code location which can change premiums considerably.
Males versus Females
The example below illustrates the comparison of insurance costs for male and female drivers in Lockport. The rate quotes are based on no claims or driving violations, full coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied on a Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only
The example below illustrates the difference between Ford Focus car insurance costs with and without full coverage. The premiums assume a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no specific rule to stop paying for physical damage insurance, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Ford Focus settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $6,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it's costing in excess of $600 a year for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not advised. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Get cheaper car insurance with discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don't list all discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the following is a list of both the well known and also the lesser-known car insurance savings.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class if it's offered in school.
- Bundle and Save - When you combine your homeowners and auto insurance and insure them with the same company you may earn at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- New Vehicle Savings - Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Select insurance companies reward you with better premium rates if you take out some life insurance too.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure all your vehicles with the same car insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you're out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will lower the amount you have to pay.
A few of the larger companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- State Farm may include discounts for passive restraint, multiple policy, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and accident-free.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including seat belt use, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, anti-theft, military active duty, and membership and employees.
- Progressive has savings for good student, homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, and multi-vehicle.
- 21st Century discounts include air bags, defensive driver, homeowners, student driver, early bird, good student, and teen driver.
- American Family offers discounts including Steer into Savings, air bags, good student, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, and early bird.
- The Hartford offers discounts for air bag, driver training, vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, and good student.
- AAA has discounts for anti-theft, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, good driver, and multi-car.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company how many discounts you can get. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in your area. To find insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in New York, click here to view.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Lockport, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it's most likely the lender will force you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also cover medical expenses incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Today the average American driver is overpaying over $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every renewal to save money.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying a policy, there really isn't a one size fits all plan. You are unique.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if you will benefit from professional help.
- Should I buy full coverage?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Neighborhood agents and auto insurance
A lot of people would rather talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents can help you build your policy and help submit paperwork. A good thing about comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance rates and still have a local agent. And buying from neighborhood agents is important especially in Lockport.
Upon completion of this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Lockport that provide free Lockport auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to contact any agents since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a local agent, you should know the different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agencies in Lockport are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand the differences because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
These type of agents are not restricted to one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they can switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. When comparing auto insurance rates, you definitely need to contact at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Many can place coverage with smaller regional carriers that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Exclusive agencies work for only one company such as State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are not able to shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. They are well trained on what they offer which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Many people buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the brand rather than having low rates.
Picking an insurance agency is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in New York?
- Where are claims handled?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Lockport?
- Does the agent help file claims?