How long has it been since you compared lower-priced auto insurance rates in Rochester, NY? Trying to find the cheapest insurance for a new or used car in New York can turn out to be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks to make it easier. There are both good and bad ways to compare auto insurance rates and you need to know the best way to price shop coverage for a new or used and locate the best price possible either online or from Rochester insurance agents.
It's amazing but nearly 70% of customers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. The average driver in the United States could save an average of about $860 each year, but they think it's difficult to find cheap auto insurance rates.
It is always a good idea to price shop coverage on a regular basis because auto insurance rates go up and down regularly. Even if you got the lowest premium rates on auto insurance two years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you're going to learn the fastest and easiest way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Compare free Rochester car insurance quotes
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in New York. If you wish to find the best auto insurance in New York, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$1,078||$539||$90|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Ford Edge Limited 2WD||$1,018||$509||$85|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$754||$377||$63|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$818||$409||$68|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$988||$494||$82|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$530||$265||$44|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$704||$352||$59|
|Honda Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$922||$461||$77|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,030||$515||$86|
|Toyota Camry SE||$982||$491||$82|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$780||$390||$65|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 2WD||$808||$404||$67|
|Volkswagen Jetta LE 4-Dr Sedan||$792||$396||$66|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can affect price quotes noticeably.
Liability-only versus full coverage
The diagram below shows the difference between Ford F-150 auto insurance rates when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The data assumes no violations or claims, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Ford F-150 rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set rule to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than about 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Ford F-150 settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $4,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying in excess of $400 annually for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not recommended. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
The example below demonstrates how deductible levels and can change Toyota Camry insurance rates for each age group. The data assumes a married male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost, buying car insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
First, the majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will stipulate that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay the higher premium.
Third, car insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Rochester is wasting up to $750 every year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Get cheaper rates on auto insurance with these auto insurance discounts
Auto insurance can be pricey, but there's a good chance there are discounts that many people don't even know exist. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Sign Online - A handful of auto insurance companies will provide an incentive shop Rochester car insurance digitally online.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Auto insurance companies who offer life insurance give a small discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Telematics Discount - Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to study where and when they drive by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive could save a few bucks if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Sign Early and Save - A few auto insurance companies give discounts for switching policies early. It could save around 10% when you buy Rochester car insurance online.
- Theft Deterrent System - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are less likely to be stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your auto insurance provider.
Don't be shocked that some credits don't apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A list of companies and a selection of discounts include:
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, driver's education, multiple autos, good student, anti-theft, and student away at school.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Travelers offers discounts for continuous insurance, new car, multi-car, early quote, payment discounts, good student, and student away at school.
- American Family has discounts for defensive driver, TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, accident-free, Steer into Savings, good driver, and multi-vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include safety features, new move discount, exclusive group savings, new graduate, teen driver discount, hybrid vehicle, and newly retired.
When getting free Rochester car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Savings may not apply in every state.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local Rochester insurance agent
A lot of people still like to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this short form, your insurance data is submitted to agents in your area that can provide free Rochester car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't even need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to you directly. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, you would need to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Picking an insurer needs to be determined by more than just the price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- What insurance companies do they work with in Rochester?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Rochester?
Listed below is a list of car insurance companies in Rochester that may be willing to give comparison quotes.
- Tom Kernan - State Farm Insurance Agent
3221 Chili Ave - Rochester, NY 14624 - (585) 889-3210 - View Map
- Vanza McEntee Insurance Agency
782 Elmgrove Rd - Rochester, NY 14624 - (585) 429-7606 - View Map
- Chris Leonardi - State Farm Insurance Agent
3047 W Henrietta Rd - Rochester, NY 14623 - (585) 475-1820 - View Map
- Paychex Insurance Agency Inc: Chiarelli Jeremy
150 Sawgrass Dr - Rochester, NY 14620 - (585) 336-7600 - View Map
More comparisons equals cheaper rates
We just covered a lot of tips how to shop for auto insurance online. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like policy cancellation, poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies is easier than you think.
When searching for affordable Rochester car insurance quotes, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Low Mileage Drivers in New York? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in New York? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Levittown, New York? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Handicapped Drivers in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Toyota RAV4 in New York? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in White Plains, New York? (FAQ)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)