Locating low-cost quotes is rather challenging for vehicle owners who are new to comparison shopping over the internet. With dozens of insurance companies available, how are we expected to effectively compare every one to find the lowest rates?
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that almost 70% of drivers in New York have bought insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers could save about 46.5% a year, but they underestimate the rate savings if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Locating the best rates in Hempstead can initially seem challenging. If you're already insured, you will be able to reduce the price you pay using the following tips. Although New York car owners can benefit from knowing the way insurance companies market insurance on the web and use it to find better rates.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways to compare prices from lots of New York insurance companies. The recommended way to find competitive insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. Just remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps you find the best rates. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online price quotes, so it's important to also get rates from them, too.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Hempstead, NY. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in New York, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 4WD||$792||$396||$66|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$1,052||$526||$88|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SXT||$626||$313||$52|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$794||$397||$66|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$738||$369||$62|
|Ford Explorer XLT AWD||$648||$324||$54|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$654||$327||$55|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$918||$459||$77|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$792||$396||$66|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$762||$381||$64|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$958||$479||$80|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$1,114||$557||$93|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$662||$331||$55|
|Toyota RAV4 4WD||$902||$451||$75|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$962||$481||$80|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$800||$400||$67|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can increase or decrease prices noticeably.
Annual premiums comparing men and women in Hempstead
The illustration below shows the difference between insurance costs for male and female drivers in Hempstead. The premiums assume a clean driving record, no claims, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in on a Toyota Corolla S.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Impact of violations and accidents on rates
The chart below shows how speeding tickets and accident claims influence Ford Focus auto insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
These discounts can reduce car insurance rates
Some insurance providers don't always list every discount very well, so the below list has a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Fewer annual miles may enable drivers to earn cheaper rates.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to study driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as Progressive's Snapshot could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- Good Student Discount - Excelling in school may save as much as 25% on a Hempstead auto insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Renewal Discounts - Some insurance companies provide a discount for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Own a Home - Owning a home in Hempstead may earn you a small savings since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Student Driver Training - Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll in driver's education as it can save substantially.
- Safe Drivers - Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accidents.
- Active Service Discounts - Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Buy New and Save - Putting insurance coverage on a new car may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
A few of the larger companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, multiple autos, and passive restraint.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for multi-car, business and professional, good student, switch companies, early shopping, electronic funds transfer, and teen driver.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, good student, military active duty, defensive driver, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, and emergency military deployment.
- American Family has savings for TimeAway discount, good student, defensive driver, bundled insurance, accident-free, and multi-vehicle.
- Nationwide has discounts for multi-policy, business or organization, defensive driving, accident-free, and easy pay.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, multi-vehicle, online signing, and homeowner.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders in your state.
Local neighborhood Hempstead car insurance agents
A lot of people would prefer to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper prices and also buy local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Hempstead who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. Get lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, you can always visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing a insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. The following questions are important to ask.
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
Exclusive and independent Hempstead car insurance agents
When finding a good Hempstead insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures to choose from. Agencies in Hempstead can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company's prices like Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Some consumers prefer to buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
These type of agents can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to find a new agent.
When shopping rates, we recommend you get insurance quotes from multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with small regional insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Insurance agents can help
Always remember that when buying insurance from an agent or online, there really is not a "best" method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- What is glass protection for?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Can I insure my car for more than it's worth?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Get lower-cost auto insurance with these tips
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, although some other factors are less apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
- Prices are impacted by vehicle performance - The performance level of the car you need insurance for makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. The lowest rates tend to be for economy passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Raise your comp and collision deductibles for better prices - Physical damage insurance, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. A few examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles you choose are how much the insured will be required to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free - If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Car insurance companies in New York provide most affordable rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Careless drivers pay higher costs - Whether or not you get tickets influences premium rates substantially. Having just one moving violation may cause rates to rise forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records pay lower auto insurance prices than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have license-revoking tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Cut premiums and deter theft - Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder car theft.
- Combine and save - Most major auto insurance companies will award better rates to buyers who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, it's always a smart idea to shop around to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Mature drivers are lower risk - Older people are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets.Beginning drivers are known to get distracted easily when at the wheel of a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher.
Why you need insurance
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Hempstead, insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $830 a year so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to save money.
Quote. Compare. Save.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to compare insurance car insurance rates in Hempstead. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.
Some companies don't offer rate quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agencies. Budget-conscious insurance is attainable on the web and from local agencies, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, high prices, policy non-renewal and even unfair underwriting practices. No matter why you want to switch, switching insurance companies is less work than it seems.
Much more information about insurance in New York can be found at the links below
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Rogue in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Car Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest New York Auto Insurance for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Subaru Outback in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable New York Auto Insurance Rates for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)