Are you sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to insure your vehicles every month? You're in the same situation as most other consumers in New York.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that almost 70% of drivers in New York have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and just under half have never compared rates with other companies. Consumers in the United States could cut their rates by 46.5% a year, but they just don't understand how easy it is to do a rate comparison.
Multiple insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates and uncover the absolute best price available on car insurance.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will surely be able to buy cheaper car insurance using the ideas covered in this article. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Oswego is actually very simple if you learn how to start. Although New York car owners need to learn how the larger insurance companies calculate their prices because rates are impacted by many factors.
These discounts can reduce insurance rates
Car insurance is not cheap, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain credits will be shown at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Buying a policy with all your vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- New Car Discount - Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Clubs and Organizations - Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when shopping for insurance.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - Have your child enroll in driver's education if offered at their school.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Older drivers could receive lower premium rates.
- Pay Early and Save - By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Onboard Data Collection - Oswego drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to spy on driving habits by using a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
Remember that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, it doesn't quite work that way.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- Progressive has savings for online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, continuous coverage, online signing, and multi-vehicle.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include safe driver, anti-theft, homeowner, teen safe driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, and accident prevention training.
- American Family discounts include multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, air bags, good student, defensive driver, good driver, and Steer into Savings.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, accident-free, claim-free, good driver, and multi-policy.
- GEICO offers discounts for seat belt use, good student, daytime running lights, membership and employees, five-year accident-free, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- The Hartford offers discounts including driver training, air bag, anti-theft, good student, bundle, defensive driver, and vehicle fuel type.
Check with all the companies what discounts are available to you. Some discounts may not apply to policies in Oswego. To find companies who offer cheap insurance quotes in New York, click this link.
To find the best car insurance prices, there are several ways to get quotes from local Oswego car insurance companies. By far the easiest way to find cheaper rates involves getting comparison quotes online.
It's so simple to compare car insurance rates online takes the place of having to drive to each insurance agency near you. Quoting car insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you prefer the professional assistance that only an agent can give. Although, it is possible get the lowest quotes online but have your policy serviced through an agent. Just keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes will enable you to find a lower rate than you're paying now. Not every company allows you to get online price quotes, so it's recommended that you also compare rates from those companies as well.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Oswego, NY. To get the best cheap auto insurance in New York, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$860||$430||$72|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$1,204||$602||$100|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$1,054||$527||$88|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$760||$380||$63|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$534||$267||$45|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$780||$390||$65|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$940||$470||$78|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$706||$353||$59|
|Honda Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$888||$444||$74|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$770||$385||$64|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,022||$511||$85|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$754||$377||$63|
|Toyota Camry LE||$702||$351||$59|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$780||$390||$65|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific garaging location which can alter premium rates greatly.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The example below visualizes the comparison of Honda Civic insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the New York minimum liability coverage. The premium estimates are based on no claims or violations, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Guidelines for eliminating full coverage
There is no written rule to eliminate full coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's pretend your Honda Civic claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premium cost is more than $600 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some situations where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
How high should deductibles be?
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can impact Hyundai Elantra annual premium costs for different age groups. The information is based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Shop around and save
You just learned a lot of ways to compare car insurance auto insurance rates in Oswego. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding cheap Oswego auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best price on car insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies. Regional companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in West Babylon, NY? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest New York Auto Insurance for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Binghamton, New York? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Accord in New York? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Immigrants in New York? (FAQ)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)