How many times have you said it's time to compare the cheapest car insurance rates in Utica, NY? When looking for lower-cost insurance, do you get confused by the number of car insurance sources in your area? There are so many choices that it is a real challenge to find a cheaper company. Utica has lots to offer, but having to pay for pricey car insurance can make it hard for many drivers to keep a tight budget.
A recent car insurance study revealed that most car insurance policyholders have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Many consumers in New York could save roughly 45% each year, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to do a rate comparison.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around every six months because insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the lowest rate on car insurance two years ago there is a good chance you can find better prices now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you're about to find out one of the easiest ways to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will be able to shop for the lowest rates using the tips covered below. Getting quotes for the most affordable auto insurance coverage in Utica is not that difficult. But New York drivers must learn how insurance companies price online insurance because it can help you find the best coverage.
Just remember that quoting more gives you a better chance of getting the best price.
The providers in the list below provide free rate quotes in Utica, NY. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you get rate quotes from several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$774||$387||$65|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$946||$473||$79|
|Dodge Grand Caravan CV||$648||$324||$54|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$752||$376||$63|
|Ford Edge Limited AWD||$940||$470||$78|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$670||$335||$56|
|Ford Explorer Limited 4WD||$962||$481||$80|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$986||$493||$82|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$820||$410||$68|
|GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$958||$479||$80|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$752||$376||$63|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$800||$400||$67|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,042||$521||$87|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$822||$411||$69|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$988||$494||$82|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$770||$385||$64|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$728||$364||$61|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location information which can change auto insurance rates greatly.
Driving violations and accidents
The diagram below shows how traffic citations and at-fault collisions can impact Hyundai Elantra premium costs for different age groups. The premiums assume a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductible comparison
The example below illustrates how your deductible choice and can raise or lower Ford Focus yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The data assumes a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost, buying insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will force you to have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is currently overpaying as much as $820 a year so compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Advertising and insurance
GEICO, State Farm and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads on TV and radio. They all seem to seem to make the promise that people will save if you get a free Utica car insurance quote and switch your policy. How does every company say the same thing? It's all in how they say it.
Insurance providers have strict underwriting profiles for the type of customer that will add to their bottom line. For example, a driver they prefer should be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no tickets, and insures a new vehicle. Someone who matches those parameters will get very good Utica premium rates and will most likely pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Consumers who don't measure up to these criteria will probably be forced to pay higher premiums and this can result in business not being written. The ad wording is "customers who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" can save as much as they claim. That's the way companies can advertise the savings. This really drives home the point why you absolutely need to quote coverage with many companies. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which company will give you lower rates than your current company.
Affordable Utica insurance quotes with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain reductions will be credited at quote time, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before they will apply.
- Accident Forgiveness - This isn't a discount exactly, but a handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates if you have no claims for a set time period.
- ABS Brakes - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- New Vehicle Savings - Putting insurance on a new car can cost up to 25% less since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Multi-line Discount - Insurance carriers who offer life insurance give a lower rate if you buy a life policy as well.
- Own a Home - Just owning your own home can save a few bucks since home ownership shows financial diligence.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies aren't that generous.
A list of insurance companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive discounts include online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- The Hartford has savings for vehicle fuel type, good student, defensive driver, air bag, anti-theft, and driver training.
- Mercury Insurance offers premium reductions for accident-free, age of vehicle, professional/association, good student, anti-theft, good driver, and location of vehicle.
- GEICO may include discounts for five-year accident-free, military active duty, good student, daytime running lights, federal employee, and driver training.
- AAA offers discounts including pay-in-full, multi-policy, good student, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, and anti-theft.
- State Farm includes discounts for multiple policy, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, good student, and anti-theft.
When comparing rates, check with every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in Utica. If you would like to choose from a list of providers with discount rates in Utica, click here to view.
Insurance agencies can help
Many drivers would rather buy from a licensed agent. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find lower auto insurance rates and also buy local.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is immediately sent to companies in Utica that provide free Utica car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you wish to get a price quote from a particular provider, don't hesitate to visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurance company should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Any agent in Utica should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is the agent properly licensed in New York?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When quoting and choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn't a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions might help in determining whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- How high should deductibles be on a vehicle?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to get a better price on insurance in Utica. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Utica car insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don't reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Veterans in New York? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in New York? (FAQ)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)